Chicken Cottage has been in business for almost 30 years with 58 restaurants operating in the UK, Africa, and South Asia. The franchise has its sight set on being the largest 100% halal, fried & grilled chicken QSR in the world, with global expansion underway throughout the Middle East, Africa, and Europe.
Born in Wembley, London and head quartered in the UK, Chicken Cottage is a member of the British Franchise Association (BFA), which focuses on developing sustainable and ethical franchise growth around the world. Furthermore, the franchise was listed in the Elite Franchise Top 100 in 2023.
There are three key pillars that differentiate Chicken Cottage from other chicken franchises.
- Genuinely halal: Chicken Cottage is a 100 per cent halal brand. It is committed to ensuring the ethical sourcing of chicken and has full exposure and traceability of the product. For the company, being halal is more than a certificate, staff members live and breathe the culture, placing quality and ethics at the heart of everything they do.
- Product quality and taste: Chicken Cottage’s R&D team is dedicated to offering a quality, fresh, irresistible menu, ensuring it attracts a diverse range of customers. The operations team also ensures that the franchise provides a seamless customer journey using efficient systems and the latest technology. Chicken Cottage is also one of the only franchises to offer grilled and fried chicken.
- Steeped in history and experience: Chicken Cottage is embedded in British culture due to its long history. The franchise’s leadership team have worked with some of the world’s biggest QSR and retail brands.
Chicken Cottage’s proven business model provides franchisees with a solid platform to grow a highly rewarding multi-unit operation. By the end of 2023, Chicken Cottage will have grown its network footprint by 20 per cent, with 80 per cent of this growth coming from within existing franchisees.
Chicken Cottage is celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2023 and is gearing up for its biggest year of store openings and revenue yet.
How does the Chicken Cottage franchise model work?
Chicken Cottage understands a ‘one size shoe fits all’ approach can be detrimental to the success of individual units when it comes to the food and beverage sector. Therefore, the franchise offers models which are adaptable to location and market, empowering partners to expand with an approach that optimizes their territory and country.
The food outlet’s formats range from traditional bricks and mortar QSR restaurants to kiosks, containers, drive-thru sites, and virtual kitchens.
The master franchisee will have the capability to assess the site, space, and local area, then work with the Chicken Cottage team on providing the best solution for each location.
Although there’s flexibility in the model, there are key brand elements which must remain consistent across all models and sites. This ensures the franchise continues to collectively build brand equity and recognition globally.
What kind of franchisee is Chicken Cottage looking for?
Chicken Cottage is open to conversations with all groups and individuals who are actively interested in becoming an investor. However, the franchise is currently focused on signing master franchise agreements for each country or large key regions.
To ensure the ongoing and sustainable development in international markets, Chicken Cottage are on the hunt for partners who possess the following:
- Experience managing multiple QSR, retail, or hospitality operations.
- Strong business acumen and knowledge of the local market.
- The capability to develop the business through a strong network or sales plan.
- Local infrastructure and commitment in place to support growth.
- Commitment to the culture and success of the Chicken Cottage brand.
- Access to capital and liquid funds to develop the business over the initial 10-year term of the franchise agreement.
What kind of support can Chicken Cottage franchisees expect?
Chicken Cottage has spent almost 30 years getting its operations right, so it needs to be consistent throughout the UK and in its global operations.
The level of support you need throughout the franchise term will change as your business grows. However, the Chicken Cottage team will work with you throughout your agreement to ensure everyone is successful.
Initially, you and key members of your team will attend an extensive training program in the Chicken Cottage system at one of its nominated training stores.
A member of the operations team will be on hand at the opening of your first Chicken Cottage store to assist with the training and development of your new team, to support the launch day activities, and coach where needed for the first few days trading.
You’ll also get ongoing support with the following:
- Site selection
- Store design
- Marketing and promotions
- Delivery app integration
- Menu development (targeting your local market)
- Supply chain
- Business management & performance tools
The franchise aims to give you everything you need to succeed as the owner of a chain of Chicken Cottage restaurants and enjoy all the rewards of being part of one of the UK’s most exciting chicken brands.
The initial master franchise fee is dependent on a range of factors and determined on a case-by-case basis. Some of the considerations include potential footprint size, population statistics, and economic climate. This fee includes your license to operate in the territory, trademark and IP administration, set up and supply chain support, as well as legal and training.
Thereafter, each store will pay a store inception fee which is split between the master franchisee and the franchisor.
There will be an ongoing royalty which each store will pay as a percentage of gross sales less VAT. This will be split between the master franchisee and franchisor.
An ongoing advertising levy of 2 per cent of gross revenue less VAT will need to be paid by each store. 0.5 per cent will go to the franchisor and 1.5 per cent will go to the marketing fund of the master franchisee.
Is Chicken Cottage targeting any areas for expansion?
Africa, Middle East and Europe are key areas of focus for Chicken Cottage.
The franchise is open to discussing areas outside of these specified regions with the right investors, however they would need to be supported by their own end-to-end resource center.
Terms and conditions
The initial term of the master franchise agreements is 10 years.
The initial master franchise fee will be determined upon application and will take into consideration the growth potential of the area as well as population types, densities, and economic data.
How in demand is Chicken Cottage’s offering?
- The global fast food and QSR market size is expected to grow by 6.1 per cent between 2023 and 2027, according to The Business Research Company.
- The food delivery market gained traction during the Covid-19 pandemic and is continuing to grow, with an expected CAGR of 12.78 per cent between 2023-2027
- The global halal food and beverage market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.5 per cent in the next four to five years, according to Orion Market Research.