Steak ‘n Shake is a pioneer of one of America’s most popular gourmet burgers – 100% certified premium steak burgers made from the finest meat with no preservatives, hormones or antibiotics. Their handcut fries are thin, crisp, never frozen and made to order from only the freshest potatoes, and now, all this and their award-winning, hand-dipped milkshakes are heading to the UK as part of their international expansion plan.
With over 530 restaurants and more than 20,000 employees in the USA, Steak ‘n Shake has already proved a huge success across The Pond. Now, it fully intends to replicate this success in the UK and on the international stage.
Steak ‘n Shake: a brief history
In 1934, Steak ‘n Shake founder, Gus Belt pioneered the concept of a better burger by hand-crafting burgers made with cuts of steak — the steakburger. Today the company continues to source, slice, grind and create the choicest quality ingredients and serve customers with a fresh, quality product — made right in front of them to ensure cleanliness, freshness, quality and wholesomeness.
In 2008, the company was purchased by Sardar Biglari, chairman and CEO of Biglari Holdings, a diversified holding company engaged in a number of business activities with significant operations in the restaurant and investment management business. Immediately, it experienced dynamic growth in sales, and earnings even in the midst of a long-term global economic recession.
Biglari Holdings’ commitment to the company, its partners and franchisees is unprecedented. Mr. Biglari promises that Steak ‘n Shake will never be sold.
In 2013, Steak ‘n Shake opened a dedicated European office in Monte Carlo, and has since opened key units in Cannes and Ibiza – plus it now has more than 120 international units committed for development.
Today, Steak ‘n Shake is one of the most recognised and loyal brands in the U.S. restaurant industry. More than 350,000 patrons visit Steak ‘n Shake daily, generating annual sales of nearly $1bn – a result of orders for 110 million steakburgers, 80 million portions of fries and 66 million hand-dipped milkshakes.
Want a slice?
With its business model going from strength to strength, the Steak ‘n Shake brand is actively looking for ambitious people to partner up with and help to develop the UK and European markets. As an internationally expanding brand, it is looking to work with people who share its values and who can lead its success in this new, exciting market. Potential partners will need to be as passionate about the company’s mission as it is: “To constantly serve our patrons the highest quality burgers and shakes along with extending them great service at the lowest possible prices.”
The investment required will vary depending on factors such as size and location. The total investment would be between €700,000 and €1.5 million (approx. £550,000 and £1,172,000). A personal investment of around €300,000 (approx. £240,000) would be required in order to qualify for a bank loan* that would cover the whole investment. (*Subject to financial checks and status.)
As a Steak ‘n Shake franchise owner you will receive all the support and expertise you need.
- FULL SUPPORT AND TRAINING A qualified support team will help you to set up your restaurant and train your staff. The dedicated head office support team will always be available to address any issues you may have, and will be on hand for the entire term of development.
- PROVEN SUPPLY CHAIN Steak ‘n Shake has over 80-years experience in cost efficiency. They carefully devise a full supply chain solution for every market it is open in.
- OPERATIONAL SUPPORT You will be supplied with with state-of-the-art tools to increase your efficiency, both before and after opening.
- FLEXIBILITY IN DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION A Steak ‘n Shake restaurant can be constructed in many different types of size and city areas, and Steak ‘n Shake provides full design concept drawings.
- A SET-UP CONSULTANT Steak ‘n Shake will ensure you have full support from their key specialists throughout the development process.
- MARKETING EXPERTISE The brand has an extensive catalogue of marketing programmes and will help support you at every step of the opening process.
Steak ‘n shake’s first french franchisee
Frank Alvarez was a successful industrial director in the food sector who, during a business trips to the United States, came across, and fell in love with, the Steak ‘n Shake brand. So impressed was he with the concept, he approached the brand about opening a Steak ‘n Shake in Plan de Campagne, Marseille.
By happy coincidence, the Commercial Barnéoud shopping centre, in Plan de Campagne, had also approached Steak ‘n Shake in 2013 about opening an outlet in its centre, and so was able to offer Frank a prime location. Steak ‘n Shake, which was starting to expand into Europe, could see the extraordinary potential of the Plan de Campagne location for Steak ‘n Shake, and agreed at once to move forward with Frank.
Steak ‘n Shake and Frank Alvarez opened the first franchise in France, covering an area of 400 m2, on 20th November 2014. To date, the restaurant has provided 27 jobs in the local area and is aiming for 150,000 customers per year.